21.6.10

Yasmine is all grown up!


Today, I went to the circus.

I know what you're thinking - no scary clowns, no cheesy music... this is Giffords, the kind of magical place that makes you feel like you're watching a travelling show from 100 years ago - well essentially, thats what it is.

I've been a few times before, since I was a young kid, but this show was the best its ever been. This year, the theme is 'Yasmine'; the story of a young girl who grows up a star in a circus. I know, right?If you've never heard of Giffords, its a family-run show which travels round the countryside, in beautiful old wooden caravans, and I was lucky enough to see it in the beautiful village of Broadway, in the Cotswolds.


Nestled in a field was the small white tent, filled with sawdust and a 12-peice band playing 40s jazz scat in french. Barely a word was said the entire show, but the performers still made the audience roar with laughter and gasp in awe - showgirls in exquisite costumes, gymnastic acrobats on tight wires and horses with their wranglers - I can't even begin to describe how fantastic it was. It makes you wish all of life were this exciting. And the star of the show, pour moi, was musical mime Gabor Vosteen (who it turns out is big on German vaudeville; hello Berlin, I think your cabaret clubs are now on my list of places-to-go-before-I-die).

I didn't take any photos inside the show, I fully intended to but frankly I was so enveloped in the whole atmosphere of the thing that I didn't even think to. So if, like me, you're the sort of person who kills for a taste of the face paints, top hats and fishnet stockings of a time before life was so complicated, I can't stress enough how much you HAVE to catch Giffords circus - this tour, another year, just go.

So, to sum up, beautiful sunny day + breathtaking experience.
Don't be too surprised if I run away with the circus.

Hope you had a good weekend!
x

ps. this has nothing to do with anything, but I took this photo just because I thought it was nice and summery. Ahh sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment